How to (not) make money with Adf.ly

I have a website with hundreds of links to external sites. I use Google AdSense to monetize the space on my website and I thought that I can make extra money by finding a way to monetize the outgoing links.

There are many url shortening services that allow you to transform a long url to a short one more suitable for sharing on social media. In particular, Twitter offers a limited space for message and the characters of the embedded urls are counted. 

Most of these url shorter services will provide you this basic service possibly with some extras such as statistics. Adfly (and few others) allows you in addition, to earn money when people click on your shortened links. Before, they are directed to the original url, they are shown an ad and you earn a small amount of money.

To use the monetization service of Adfly you need first to register (create an account). Afterwards, you can log in to your account, shorten urls and share them on social media or on your website. You can also do this programmatically if you have lots of url to shorten.

The registration process and the implementation of the shortening procedure are easy and within short time I was able to start earning money.

You need of course a decent traffic and a good amount of clicks on the short urls. The ad stock of Adfly is not huge but your CPM can go from 0.11 USD to 2 USD or a bit more depending on the geographical location of your visitors.

I did not see anything suspicious with Adfly. I can confirm from my experience that this is a serious service. You can get paid through PayPal when you make only 5 USD (compared to 100 USD for Google AdSense). I received many payments from Adfly with exactly the earned amounts, timely and without any delays.

However, I decided to stop using the service on my website for a different reason.
After, experiencing with this method for few months, I realized that this is a quite aggressive method for the visitors of my website. They are shown ads each time they click on an external link with the necessity to wait at least few seconds before to be able to skip the ad. In a first time, I limited programmatically the number of shortened links for each session and spread them randomly. 

I had few thousands of ad views per day with most of my visitors coming from countries outside the US or Canada. Therefore, I was not making a big amount of money that can compensate the possible loss of visitors due to the annoying ads.

Conclusion: 
Adfly is a serious service, they allow you to monetize your links. They pay exactly what they promise. They pay timely and accept PayPal. It allows you to make a small amount of money if you have a lot of url to share and you can reach a large audience.

I do not recommend to implement this Ad approach on a website since this is an aggressive method that can considerably decrease the user experience and satisfaction and can lead to loss of visitors.


Comments